Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Archive: Weird computer problems and fixes


I got weird computer problems from time to time. Fortunately, most often I could fix them after searching on the Internet for a while. The least thing I want to happen is forgetting these solutions when I encounter the same problem again. These "wired" problems tend to be rare, but it can be indeed nerve-racking when they do show up.

1. Excel crashes with an error message "SYLK: File format is not valid" -- Excel cannot open a text or CSV file when the first two characters of the file are the letters ID (uppercase). See the link for more explanations. [06/24/2008]

2. Excel 2004 (Mac) crashed every time I opened it, as it kept opening a corrupted "recovered" file and then quitting automatically. I couldn't solve the problem even after removing and reinstalling Excel. The problem was finally fixed after I deleted "com.microsoft.office.prefs.plist" under "Users/~/Library/Preferences." Later I got to learn that it is a common solution when MS Office crashes. [06/24/2008]

3. Vmware Fusion: Windows XP failed to find shared folders. The fix is simple: go "Start" -->" Run" --> "\\.host" and press enter. [06/24/2008]


1 comment:

Trevor Hook said...

I had also many computer problems and i was too much frustrated with these problems , one of my friend told me that you can solve

your computer problems online and recommended me www.iyogi.co.uk
a computer technical support company which provides online computer support , i am too much satisfied with the online computer

support , try this it may help you